Geely McCar : A Vehicle that Combines Car & Mototcycle
It’s certainly been too long since we’ve featured a cool vehicle. Geely McCar is cool, cute, and has an adorable name to match. Aww. In essence, Geely is an ultra compact, two-door, four-seater with a built-in, folding three wheeled electric scooter in the rear. When the scooter is docked, the car shares both its battery and electric motor to extend the all-electric range or ensure the scooter is fully charged. The vehicle is proposed as having choice of gas-electric hybrid or fully electric powerplants.
The Chinese concept vehicle doesn’t present a totally new idea. The vehicle-in-vehicle concept has previously been explored by General Motor’s 2007 Flextreme Concept (which incorporated his and hers Segways in the rear), Honda’s 2009 EV-N battery electric vehicle (with a U3-X one-wheel personal mobility device embedded in the passenger door) and Suzuki’s 2007 Pixy + SSC Concept as it’s a logical way of adding “last mile” transport, car pooling and overcoming the inevitable urban congestion China will face. China currently has 125 cities with more than a million people. America has nine cities that large. Between now and 2030, China will need to accommodate a further 350 million people in its cities. Clearly, traffic congestion will reach new heights as the world’s most populous country grows rich.
- Geely McCar is a combined car and motorcycle (gizmag.com)
- Geely McCar: Electric vehicle and scooter in one (physorg.com)
- Scooter-Charging Hatchbacks – The Geely McCar Comes With its Own Electric Scooter (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Shanghai motor show: Geely McCar (telegraph.co.uk)
- An Electric Trike In The Trunk Makes For The Ultimate Hybrid Eco-Car (fastcompany.com)