Talk Powerede Cell Phones?
How cool would it be if your cell phone could gain all the power it needed to fuel your conversations by the actual sound of those conversations? Scientists at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, South Korea think they’ve developed the technology that could soon have that very application.
The technology produces energy from the vibrations caused by sounds. The prototype consists of tiny zinc oxide wires sandwiched between two electrodes. A sound pad on top vibrates when hit by sound waves which causes the zinc oxide strands to compress and release. That generates an electrical current that charges the battery.
Currently, the prototype has only been able to convert sound at high decibel levels like loud traffic to generate about 50 millivolts of electricity, but the scientists are hoping that changing the material the wires are made of will allow more energy to be produced from lower sound levels.
via The Telegraph
- Mobile phones could be charged by the power of speech (telegraph.co.uk)
- Future Tech: Charge your cell phone by talking into it (news.consumerreports.org)
- Coming Soon: Yell At Your Phone To Charge It (pcworld.com)
- Charging Your Devices With Sound? (webpronews.com)
- Charge a mobile phone just by yelling into it? The Koreans are working on that! (intomobile.com)