All-electric garbage trucks to sweep French streets
The lumbering, polluting trucks that have collected garbage from French streets for years will soon become a noisy memory once a new generation of super quiet, all-electric vehiclesstarts making the rounds next week.
The zero-emission, made-in-France trucks are still large and bulky, but they promise to pack as much punch as their cousins with a vastly reduced impact on the environment and a relatively inoffensive, low humming engine sound.
All existing trucks– which operate on dual electric and thermal motors – will eventually be replaced by the new vehicles, of which 11 will be in operation by the end of this year, according to SITA France, a subsidiary of waste management company Suez Environnement.
“The engineers faced a real challenge of how to make it all work together – how they would be able to minimize overall electrical usage and come up with the vehicle that we have here,” said SITA industrial director, Cyril Fraissinet.
In the works for the past three years, the all-white trucks with the words “clean vehicle” proudly displayed on their flanks were developed by French company PVI, which makes electrical vehicles for industry, and Semat, a division of Zoeller that makes collection vehicles.
The new garbage trucks are fully computer-operated and include a screen inside the front cabin so that the driver can see colleagues working behind the truck.
- Realistically Clean Up the Streets in Garbage Truck Simulator (escapistmagazine.com)
- Brussels testing hybrid garbage trucks (tebiki.be)
- DHL greens delivery fleet with hybrid trucks, electric vans (ecomagnificent.com)
- French set to build £3.9bn canal to put Paris ‘at the heart of Europe’ (dailymail.co.uk)
- Thursday Morning (thenenniediaries.com)
- Woman, 79, killed after she was struck by garbage truck in Vancouver (theprovince.com)
- Crash closes westbound Highway 407 (cbc.ca)
- Boy, 12, dead, two in critical condition after crash with garbage truck in Langley (theprovince.com)
- Look for your city-issued, gray garbage container this summer (thegazette.com)
- The Law of the Garbage Truck (michaelltaiwan.wordpress.com)
- Garbage Truck Law (unpredictablelia.wordpress.com)
- Aerodynamic Trucks Save Fuel and Money (ecomagnificent.com)