Nissan Announces Racing Version of LEAF
Nissan has announced that it will unveil a racing version of its all-electric LEAF called the NISMO RC at the New York Auto Show on April 20. The NISMO version will feature a carbon fiber body, rear-wheel drive, a shorter wheel base and will sit about a foot lower than the standard LEAF. It weighs in at 2,068 pounds – about 40 percent less than the standard version.
The car will be able to go from 0 to 62 in 6.85 seconds and have a max speed of 93 mph. The battery pack (the same configuration as the production LEAF) will be able to provide about 20 minutes running time under racing conditions. Designed by the same group that has made Super GT and FIA GT1 cars for the company, the LEAF NISMO RC will be a rolling lab for motorsport EVs and aerodynamic systems.
After its debut, the car will make demo appearances at various races through the end of the year. via www.ecogeek.org
- Nissan’s Nismo Racing Leaf Looks Great, Performs Adequately (crunchgear.com)
- Nissan introduces Nismo Racing Leaf… The Japanese first real Sport EV (en.akihabaranews.com)
- Nissan Leaf Nismo RC swaps basic comforts for a carbon fiber body and some racing good looks (engadget.com)
- “Nissan Leaf NISMO RC Concept – Auto Shows” and related posts (caranddriver.com)
- Race-Ready EV Makeovers – The Nissan Leaf NISMO RC is Ready to Race (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Nissan Leaf Nismo RC set to electrify New York (autoblog.com)
- Strange but true! Nissan LEAF NISMO RC electric racer (paultan.org)
- Nissan LEAF(TM) NISMO RC (Racing Competition) Takes Zero Emission Strategy to a New Dimension – the Race Track (prnewswire.com)
- Nissan Leaf Nismo RC prototype tests battery tech on the track (reviews.cnet.com)
- NYIAS Preview: Nissan Leaf Nismo RC (tcfpodcast.wordpress.com)