Doubling public transport by 2025 to save $ 140 billion
Public transport market share must double by 2025 to save $140 billion from energy consumption while reducing greenhouse gas emissions as well, a report from a global network of public transport officials showed.
The International Association of Public Transport (U.I.T.P.), based on well-documented urban economic and technological development projections and a partnership with the International Energy Agency, compared the impacts and benefits of the expected business scenario with that of public transport times two, or PTx2, in 2025.
The group presented the PTx2 program during the 59th World Congress in Dubai which started April 10 and will end on April 14.
The expected scenario is projected according to current trends. Scenarios were evaluated under the projections on how the cities will evolve until that year compared to 2005.
- Super-fast ‘Superbus’ could transform your commute (cnn.com)
- Norman Baker writes… Towards a smarter public transport system (libdemvoice.org)
- Dutch Superbus: Stretch Batmobile as Public Transportation (neatorama.com)
- The School Bus Pass – The Key Reasons Why There Are A Lot Of Discussions Because Of Them (pro2sell.com)
- Public transport should drive our future (australiablog.com)
- Update on Public Transportation System (manhattanmatters2011.wordpress.com)
- High Gas Prices Make Commuters Ditch Cars (abcnews.go.com)