‘The Pearl’ dome house – passive solar design with a touch of high-tech
Like its stablemate the Domespace house, David Fanchon’s eco-friendly design is aimed at maximizing passive solar energy – though unlike the Domespace there’s no rotating option. Dubbed “The Pearl,” the standout features of the elegant domed structure are its integrated solar panels which can be adjusted to different angles to provide additional shade and optimize energy collection through the changing seasons.
The pictures tell the story of the way in which The Pearl takes advantage of passive solar principles. Large south-facing (or north-facing if you reside below the equator) bay windows fitted with an automated venting system soak up the winter sun and allow light to enter every room, while the white steel roof reflects the sun in summer.
Some additional energy saving options are not as apparent from the designs – the roofing shell can be insulated with a layer of air and cork beads (>R28), external walls are made of 12″ thick compressed straw and the design can incorporate geothermal and wood pellet fed heating systems. There’s also a rain water storage tank located at the base of the northern pedestal.
The aerodynamic dome shape delivers protection from high winds and wild weather and the arch shape also provides resistance to earthquakes.
The timber is FSC certified and the interior layout is fully customizable – the trick would be to make sure your property’s best views lay to the south so you can make the most of the full 180 degree view from the main living area.
- ‘The Pearl’ dome house – passive solar design with a touch of high-tech (gizmag.com)
- Eco Domed Abodes – The Solaleya Pearl Dwelling Embraces Passive Energy Practices (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- How solar energy is being utilized (wiki.answers.com)
- Ciralight Global Releases ‘Smart Skylight’ SuntrackerThree (prweb.com)
- East Bay Window Replacement Expert R and M Reveals Five Benefits to Changing Windows (prweb.com)
- New Home Building Information (homebuildingsmart.com)
- “Glenn Beck, Mercury Radio Arts Ink Fox News Partnership” and related posts (news.lalate.com)
- “Government Shutdown Threat Prompts GOP To Prepare One-Week Extension Budget Bill” and related posts (huffingtonpost.com)
- “Conservative Justice David Prosser May Lose Wisconsin Supreme Court Seat: What Can a Down-to-the-Wire State Supreme Court Race in Wisconsin Tell Us About 2012?” and related posts (blogs.abcnews.com)
- “Tina Fey Pregnant With Second Child!” and related posts (showbizspy.com)