Toyota To Build Hybrid Yaris Car In France
The gasoline-electric Yaris, called Vitz in Japan, will be sold in Europe, the paper, owned partly by Toyota, reported without saying where it obtained the information.
A Toyota spokeswoman said the automaker could not comment on future product plans. A year ago, France’s La Tribune newspaper ran a similar report citing Toyota’s plans to build a small hybrid car at its Valenciennes factory, which builds the Yaris subcompact. A spokesman at the time had denied that such a plan was under consideration.
Hybrid cars have been a tough sell in Europe, which prefers diesel engines to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Toyota has said it plans to add the hybrid option across its entire lineup by around 2020, but has not announced plans for a gasoline-electric Yaris/Vitz.
- RPT-Toyota to build hybrid Yaris car in France -paper (reuters.com)
- Toyota considers hybrid version of subcompact Etios for Indian market (green.autoblog.com)
- Toyota’s Prius Tops Japan Car Sales for 15th Month (abcnews.go.com)
- Report: Toyota to replace Yaris in U.S., concept coming to Detroit? (autoblog.com)
- Fuel Sipping Diesel Hybrids to Debut in Europe (technologyreview.in)